Thursday, August 03, 2006

Run's House - 9:30 PM, Thursdays, MTV


I am not the biggest Reality Show fan, never have been but I do have a handful of reality shows that I have liked or do like. I really didn't know what to expect with, 'Run's House' on MTV but it turns out I like it. I like this family. I actually like checking in when I can to see what is going on with Rev Run and his Family.

One of the things that has been turning me off about family reality shows in particular is it seems that every channel has been going with everything from dysfunctional families to severe dysfunctional families. The direct opposite of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, right?

Now, some people seem to like dysfunctional families I guess because it puts them at ease or it reminds them of their own? I am guessing here! Hey, who's family out here hasn't had a dysfunctional moment or two or three or four or five at one time or another? We're all human. OK, there is nothing wrong with the occassional dysfunctional family show I guess because that is a reality out here but, can I see a functional family for once? OK, how about a semi-functional family?

I guess another thing is the definition of functional or dysfunctional could probably be called subjective. There are probably many examples of what people would call functional and many examples of what they would call dyfunctional, so that spectrum could be considered broad. But some dysfunctional families they have been airing on TV and Cable in the last 10 years or so? No-brainers! Severely dysfunctional! LOL!

This show's success proves to many that you can show a basically functional family (whatever that means in today's times!) and it works and works well. A rich family, yes! LOL. Yet very normal in many ways. Another thing is before they became successful, the Simmons Brothers that is, they came from a struggle which they will tell you about in a New York Minute. So with those dynamics, this show just works for me.

Run's House is a MTV reality series, which is based around the life and family of rapper and hip-hop pioneer Joseph Simmons aka "Reverend Run." MTV picked it up for a 2nd season which began airing June 15th, 2006 at 9:30PM.

It is Executively Produced by big brother Russell Simmons.

Another cool thing they do is visit big brother Russell Simmons at Def Jam. We get to see A Day In The Life of Russell Simmons which is very insightful.

I always liked Run-DMC so I guess I am a little biased as to why I would sub-consciously want to see and even end up liking the show.

The Rev Run's Family is: Reverend Run: father, Phat Farm executive, minister and 1/3 of hip-hop group Run DMC. Run's wife, Justine (who is expecting a baby I saw several episodes back), Vanessa, the 23-year-old daughter, soon-to-be graduate of St. John's University, aspiring actress and current Ford model, 18-year-old Angela Simmons Angela, a recent graduate of the Fashion High School of NYC who will be attending college in the fall, Joseph "Jojo" Simmons, Jr., the 16-year-old and oldest son who wants to become a rapper and producer. Daniel "Diggy" Simmons, the comedian of the family who is 10-years-old, and the youngest son, 7-year-old Russell "Russy" Simmons II.

At the end of the show Rev Run always quotes some positive affirmations which I like to hear him do.

You can check out more of Rev Run's positive affirmations at revswordsofwisdom.com.

Who's House? Run's House!

No comments :