Friday, August 18, 2006

The Gnawa Music of Morocco


I am hearing this recording live as I write this to you all this Friday evening on 89.3 WPFW FM hosted by Susan Jenkins and Willard Jenkins that is blowing me out of my computer chair. If I had my recorder with me, my tape would be rolling on it right now!

The sound quality is excellent. It is a field recording but it sounds like a soundboard recording. I had to call in to ask them the details of it! Thank you, Mr. Jenkins!

It is completely amazing, incredible and spiritual at the same time. I think this music could be heard thruout The Universe and beings from other planets would even feel it. If they are up there I am sure they already know about it because this music goes wayyyy back. Gnawa sounds like it could tune the soul of every living being, human, animal, plant to be at peace and find its center.

They are playing a field recording of the 2004 Gnawan World Music Festival festival-gnaoua.co.ma recorded in Essaouira, Morocco with Joe Zawinul zawinulmusic.com.

Joe Zawinul?! The Joe Zawinul?! The one and only! For those too young to know who Joe Zawinul is, Joe Zawinul is a jazz keyboardist and composer. He is one of the men in Jazz who is credited with the development of Jazz Fusion along with Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin and Miles Davis. He is best known as the founder of the band Weather Report, with Wayne Shorter. He also wrote the hit "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and played on Miles' Bitches Brew amongst many other things.

What is Gnawa Music? This website I found seems to describe it best: afropop.org.

The hosts are saying the best way to purchase Gnawan Music is from amazon.com and also sternmusic.com.

Inspiration to go to Essaouira, Morocco for The Gnawan World Music Festival to see and hear this in person!

No comments :