Sunday, June 28, 2009

Memories of Disney's 25th Anniversary Special on ABC (1980) with a Surprise Michael Jackson Medley


Disney's 25th Anniversary Special on ABC. The year after 'Off The Wall' (1979) was released. 2 years after 'The Wiz' (1978) was in theaters and "Ease On Down The Road" was still being played on Black Radio. So on Black Radio we had both music from 'Off The Wall" and 'The Wiz' from MJ. We also had The Jacksons "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)" (1978) still burning up the charts. I remember tuning into this special in 1980. I was 10 or 11. We were watching the special and somewhere into the program we saw this scene where Michael Jackson just shows up sitting on a bench. I think I had no idea he was going to be on. As kids, we went nuts! It was a surprise! lol! Memories! Add to that we were just in LA The Summer of '79 to see our cousins. Yes, my sister and I were hyped when we saw this! The child actor in this clip is the youngest actor from "Eight Is Enough" Adam Rich. When this came on the shouting you could hear from a 10 yr old LT to his sister went something like "Michael Jackson is on Disney!" LOL! The whole family came to the TV to see it. I think this was the first time I heard classic Disney Tunes blended with a "R&B Funktafied Soulful MJ Twist"! lol! To hear them combine those musical genres with Michael Jackson as the center of attention star was amazing at that time.
~LT

No comments :