Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Quincy Jones - The Dude


You know how you have certain days when you just think of an album all out of the blue? Today was one of those days for me. I thought of Quincy Jones', quincyjonesmusic The Dude today.

What I remembered first was that album cover. It just came to me. Soon after that I started hearing the songs in my mind, track by track. Then I started thinking how it was 1981 when the album came out. I was 10-yrs-old. It actually was released in January of 1981 and there were so many good vibrations about it but the first time I saw that album cover in person I think was at a party our parents took us too later on in 1981.

We went down into the basement of this family's house and the mood was so cool and the Father had a copy of The Dude and he really was diggin' it. He had a slammin record collection and was showcasing it. The Dude was on the speakers. That big 33 LP passed all around the room. He even had a little statue that was a replica of that figure on the front.

Remember the days when you as a kid would go with your parents to a cool adult party that there were going to be some kids at too and all the adults were cool chillin in the 70s and early 80s and the music was so, so good? Those were the days.

Anyway, I remember looking at the album cover. I really felt like I had something very special in my hands. Once again, me reading the liner notes and track list and thank yous inside the cover. I used to get excited about that to read it and to see what artwork and pictures were in different albums. Each track was something special. Jazz, Latin, Soul ballads, Straight Pop and loads of Soul.

Remember this one?



Check the tracklist:

1. Ai No Corrida (6:18)
2. The Dude (5:35)
3. Just Once (4:32)
4. Betcha' Wouldn't Hurt Me (3:33)
5. Somethin' Special (4:03)
6. Razzamatazz (4:20)
7. One Hundred Ways (4;19)
8. Velas (4:05)
9. Turn On The Action (4:17)

Album Credits:

Johnny Mandel Arranger
Greg Phillinganes Synthesizer, Handclapping, Piano (Electric)
John "J.R." Robinson Drums, Handclapping
Toots Thielemans Guitar, Harmonica
Ian Underwood Synthesizer
Lalomie Washburn Vocals, Vocals (Background)
Ernie Watts Flute, Saxophone
Larry Williams Flute, Saxophone
David Wolinski "Hawk" Keyboards, Clavinet
Stevie Wonder Synthesizer, Keyboards
Syreeta Wright Vocals, Vocals (Background)
David Foster Piano, Piano (Electric)
Charles May Vocals
Tom Bahler Trumpet, Vocals, Vocals (Background)
Michael Boddicker Synthesizer
Robbie Buchanan Strings, Keyboards, Piano (Electric)
Lenny Castro Percussion, Handclapping
Paulinho Da Costa Percussion (I thought this was a cool name!)
Casey Cysik Vocals, Vocals (Background)
Chuck Findley Trumpet
Jim Gilstrap Vocals, Vocals (Background)
Jerry Hey Trumpet, Horn, Arranger (I always loved this name! I thought it was a cool name too. Jerry Hey!)
Kim Hutchcroft Flute, Saxophone
Louis Johnson Bass, Handclapping
Abraham Laboriel Bass
Yvonne Lewis Vocals, Vocals (Background)
Steve Lukather Guitar
Patti Austin Vocals, Vocals (Background)
James Ingram Vocals, Vocals (Background)
Michael Jackson Vocals, Vocals (Background)
Herbie Hancock Piano, Piano (Electric)
Quincy Jones Trumpet, Main Performer, Vocals (Background), Vocals, Producer, Arranger
Bill Reichenbach Jr. Trombone

To have the CD Remastered Version is a must!

No comments :