Tuesday, July 11, 2006

New Smokey Robinson CD - Timeless Love


Heard this on the WPFW today on Jamal Muhammad's Show. "Smokey Robinson Timeless Love" came out on June 20th, 2006. universalchronicles.com

From the 3 cuts I heard, Smokey sounded so good, a review isn't even necessary. Smokey does timeless classics and puts his velvet touch on some of the most romantic Jazz, Big Band and Traditional Pop Standards of the '20's, '30's, and 40s.

The track list is:

1. You Go To My Head
(Fred Coots - Haven Gillespie)

2. I'm In The Mood For Love
(Jimmy McHugh - Dorothy Fields)
Includes additional lyrics from "Moody's Mood For Love"
(Jimmy McHugh - Dorothy Fields - James Moody)

3. Our Love Is Here To Stay
(George Gershwin - Ira Gershwin)

4. Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)
(Bart Howard)

5. Night And Day
(Cole Porter)

6. I'm Glad There Is You
(Jimmy Dorsey - Paul Mertz)

7. More Than You Know
(Billy Rose - Edward Eliscu - Vincent Youmans)

8. Speak Low
(Kurt Weill -Ogden Nash)

9. Time After Time
(Sammy Cahn - Jule Styne) / (Cyndi Lauper - Rob Hyman)

10. I Can't Give You Anything But Love (Baby)
(Jimmy McHugh - Dorothy Fields)

11. I Love Your Face
(Smokey Robinson)

12. I've Got You Under My Skin
(Cole Porter)

13. Tea For Two
(Vincent Youmans - Irving Caesar)

Bonus Tracks:

14. You're In My Me
(Smokey Robinson)

15. Happy
(Smokey Robinson - Michael Legrand)

16. Smokey Robinson Interview

Another must-buy on my list! Check it out this article from CNN on Smokey's latest album Timeless Love: CNNJuly11thSmokeyArticle

*Update - Smokey performed Our Love Is Here To Stay on The Tonite Show with Jay Leno Wednesday night. Nice! In Smokey's words, "These songs were all written in The Era When The Song Was King." Love that quote! The focus wasn't on the artists, it was on the songs! 'Nuff said.

No comments :