Monday, June 19, 2006

My Favorite News Stations On The Radio Dial?


In DC/MD/VA, WTOP 103.5 FM/820 AM, hands down. And not just because I worked there for 5 years! I think they really are the best at what they do. wtop

Now heard on 103.5 FM. Yeah, that's right, FM. Classical WGMS' old frequency. WGMS is now heard on 104.1 which used to be the old Z104.

1500 AM, TOP's old frequency is now, Washington Post Radio "Because there is always more to the story." washingtonpostradio You can also hear it on 107.7. I like it so far. They are on a totally different "clock" then TOP and it works. It's more laid back sounding and casual and I haven't heard a "breaking news" sounder yet. It truly is like listening to the newspaper if you can imagine that. LOL.

It's good during the week but the best days I have noticed so far are Fridays when they do their Weekend Section On-Air and also Sundays which sound so far sounds like reading the big Sunday Paper except for you're listening to it. LOL! How do they put the paper together on the daily? They go into it. A+ listening for all journalism students I believe.

Also Washington Post Radio is currently carrying The Nats which is a plus. When is the last time we have heard a baseball game in DC on the FM side? In full stereo, baby!

Another thing I like is that they interview the reporters at the Washington Post who give insight into what stories they are working on that will appear the next day, next week, how they are putting it together, etc. Good stuff.

A close second would be C-SPAN Radio 90.1. C-SPAN Radio 90.1 used to be WDCU Jazz 90 FM where I worked from my first year in college in 1987 to 1992. My first experience working at a radio station. I will do a post on the old Jazz 90 WDCU FM coming up soon. Now you talk about some stories! That one's going to be good so stay tuned. C-SPAN Radio 90.1 is in a class all by itself for obvious reasons but then again so is C-SPAN.

A Close third would be 90.9 WETA. I listen to News and Notes with Ed Gordon 5 days a week.

88.5 WAMU would quickly follow with Kodjoe Nnamdi.

On the AM side, I truly bounce; 570 WTNT, 630 WMAL, 1050 WFED, 1090 WBAL, 1260 WWRC...I am all over the place on any given day.

No comments :