Monday, June 19, 2006

Chuck Brown at Carter Barron w/ Steve Harvey and Crew Report


By popular demand and for your viewing pleasure, my Chuck Brown "I tried to get in that joint!" report! ;)

Chuck Brown with SOS Band hosted by Steve Harvey and Crew - The "I Almost Got In That Joint!" Report
Saturday, June 10th, Carter Barron, 7:30 pm (Sold Out Show)

I could not get tickets to this sold out show but I did go up there to see if I could get a good listen.

The Park Police had Carter Barron blocked off to the likes I have not heard before since maybe The Four Tops or The Temptations in the 70s. Everything was blocked off including the tennis court area.

I went around the back behind 16th street. The Park Police were back there too! lol! Along with a whole lot of other Chuck Fans who had the same idea and just came to listen from the back. People were trying everything to get in from the back in between the trees! Folks were trying to drive in every back entrance they could find. The Park Police were on the megaphones: "Back that thing outta here!" (spotlight comes on).

When I got there Chuck was doing Hoochie Coochie Man. The sounds were pumpin.
I mean, that percussive Old School Chuck Brown Go-Go Beat was pulsating throughout the night air.

I split with the mere pleasure that I had an opportunity to listen to Chuck Live.

Chuck on Steve Harvey's Show Monday Morning 06.12.06

Steve Harvey called Chuck Brown the greatest live band he has ever seen next to Earth Wind and Fire.

He said he was blown away that a man can play so many songs back to back without taking a break without any sheet of music for 90 minutes straight.

He said he is going to give Chuck Brown a boost nationally on his show and that he wants to do something with Chuck Brown again to bring it to America nationally.

He said Chuck got a Standing Ovation when he introduced him to the crowd.

Chuck played Woody Woodpecker and then brought Steve Harvey out there.
Steve comes out groovin to Chuck. The crowd is lovin it. Sugar Bear and Lil' Benny came out too.

Steve Harvey said he first heard the Woody Woodpecker theme in a club called Nexus in New Orleans in the 80's and bought the album and would take it with him when he toured.

Harvey asked Chuck have they ever toured nationally and Chuck said they have traveled all over the world and how Europe and Germany love them.

He told a story of how they played in NY before and they looked in the corner and Prince and 12 of his people were there groovin to his music.

Steve is Gonna play more Chuck on Tuesday's show.

He will also be at the Capitol City Barbecue June 24-25th.

http://www.barbecuebattle.com/

P.S. I just heard Chuck opened up playing the theme from The Godfather. Ohhh, maaan! I wish I coulda heard that! They were out there scalpin tickets for $80 - a $20 ticket!

No comments :