Saturday, November 08, 2008

LT's Jazzy Radio Loft & Lounge 'Follow Your Dreams' Guest #7: Natalie Case -Host of WHUR's #1 Grown & Sexy Saturdays

With all the excitement of President-Elect Barack Obama's Victory Tuesday night, some may have missed my interview on Election Day with WHUR's Natalie Case! Re-posting today for your enjoyment! Be sure to tune in to Natalie Case, Host of 96.3 FM WHUR's #1 Grown & Sexy Saturday Night from 6pm - 9pm! Her show is off the hook!
Peace!
~LT



Website: www.whur.com
Myspace: myspace.com/ncaseevents
Booking Inquiries: ncaseevents@yahoo.com

Joining me today in LT's Jazzy Radio Loft & Lounge for my ongoing "Follow Your Dreams" series which I started here in August 2006 is Natalie Case, Host of 96.3 FM WHUR's #1 Grown & Sexy Saturdays from 6pm - 9pm. Natalie Case recently took time out of her busy schedule to join me in for a conversation on what she's been up to, the key to great Urban AC Radio, her thoughts on Syndication Radio, Neo-Soul Music, "The Sound of Washington," and Today's Historic Election of The USA's First African-American President! Enjoy!

LT: Hi, Natalie! Welcome to My Jazzy Radio Loft & Lounge!

NC: Hey Lawrence, thank you for having me here at the comfy Jazzy Radio Loft & Lounge.

LT: It's a pleasure to have you! My first question is one that many of your fans & listeners have been wondering too! Where have you been?! You've been missed! :)

NC: It’s so good to be back. I have been underground doing satellite radio and I am really happy to be back in the D.C. Metro Area. I have been back in D.C. since August of 2007 with WHUR...so I have missed D.C., MD and VA.

LT: Where were you born and raised?

NC: Baltimore born and raised....and they do represent every time I come home.

LT: When did you first get interested in radio?

NC: Radio kind of found me. I was working as a receptionist for one of the Radio One properties and they began to use my voice for commercials and so I kinda liked playing with different sounds and characters....and as they say..the rest is history.

LT: What type of music did you listen to when you were growing up?

NC: At home it was serious Sooooul music...Al Green, Smokey Robinson and Aretha Franklin.

LT: You have such a distinct, great on-air personality, great voice and great on-air presence. Every time I tune into your show I feel we are getting something so cool, so in the mix, so comfortable, so happening. It's something special that I look forward to every time I tune into your show or hear you are filling in. Your voice is warm, your personality is bright and so friendly and welcoming and you always sound so professional in your delivery.

You also sound like you are always in your groove, in your pocket and having a ball, having so much fun! I would say your voice reminds me of a great guest who is in our living rooms that one would like to have back over and over again! :) What do you attribute your great voice presence and voice too? :)

NC: Thanks, LT - I have been in the business for a long time. I guess just being able to be myself and having great program directors that allow "me to do me" has really helped. I have always had to have my studio be perfect every time I step into it...so there is a ritual that I do which might be funny to others but it has to be done. I have all the lights turned off, I light my candles, my air fragrance spray is fresh & clean...then I get busy...I call it AURA.... (Laughing)

LT: Nice! I like that! How would you describe your show, which is WHUR's #1 show Grown & Sexy Saturdays from 6pm - 9pm?

NC: The Grown & Sexy Show is just a great feel good mix of music reaching my folks that I like to think are rolling with me on a Saturday night.... just ready to have some fun doing whatever they feel like without any trouble! I want to make folks dance, sing and lift their spirits with great music.

LT: You do a great job at it! What other radio stations and markets have you worked in?

NC: I have only been in Baltimore and D.C....I worked for Radio One for 16 years!! And now with WHUR for a year!

LT: And we're so glad you're back! What do you think of the current state of Urban Adult Contemporary Radio across the board compared to how it used to be in the 70s, 80s, 90s?

NC: I really miss OLD radio... (Smiling) it was so much fun then...there is still good music to be played I just miss the people who used to play it....Urban AC Radio across the board has changed, I believe because you don't get to HEAR as much music anymore.

LT: What are your thoughts on what they are calling "Neo-Soul"?

NC: Neo-Soul is a new feeling...new artists have another angle to get a fresh new sound out...I love that it also brings out new flavor for us to explore.

LT: What is your opinion of Syndication Radio? Upsides? Downsides?

NC: Syndication Radio...can I plead the 5th...hahahahaha. I love that there are some great folks doing great radio all over the map, but I still believe in some states/cities local talent, local flavor, hands on people are what we want & love!!



LT: I hear you! And, Amen! LOL! What in your opinion, what is it about WHUR that makes it so significant to Washington, D.C.? WHUR and D.C.'s long history together?

NC: Howard University is historical and WHUR has a lot of history here...I absolutely love the campus. The Washington Post had the vision to give Howard University a radio station, which became WHUR and a anchor in the local radio industry. WHUR stands alone on it's own merits. Native Washingtonians have grown up listening to WHUR. WHUR offers music and programming the entire family can enjoy no matter what day of the week. The entire Howard University campus is a family atmosphere. The students, staff and alumni that have made so many contributions to this historical landmark and the legendary on-air staff that have graced the airwaves, it is just an honor to be here and join the family!!

LT: What would you describe as, "Sounds Like Washington"? What in your opinion is The Soul of Washington, D.C.?

NC: Sounds Like Washington is all Music! Old school music you can sing to, songs that we know the words to, music you grew up with...old school at its finest! The Soul of Washington are artist who represent D.C....Marvin Gaye, Stacy Lattisaw, Kenny Lattimore, Johny Gill, Tank and so many others for sure.

LT: Speaking of those artists, who are some of your favorite artists? Past? Present?

NC: I love all genres of music & artists, but what most folks don’t know about me is that I am a Jazz fanatic!! My favorites of all time are Miles Davis, Pat Methany, Chris Botti.

LT: I love Jazz too. :) What do you think of the explosion of the Internet and how it has affected new artists trying to get signed, independent artists gaining exposure compared to the old days of shopping your record around on Music Tuesdays? Upsides? Downsides?

NC: I think the Internet explosion is just another viable medium to get music to the masses and sold. Some artist have done well from selling on-line and pushing product from their vehicles...it has all become such a hustle...representation is still crucial to an artist and having good music and talent to sell.

LT: When can people hear your show? How can folks get in contact with you?

NC: WHUR is the place to find me! My show is Saturday 6pm-9pm and for most holidays you can hear me filling in whenever they need me....so just stay tuned to 96.3FM. You can listen to my show or any other programming on-line at www.whur.com. Any correspondence can be sent to me at WHUR.

LT: Aside from your On-Air personality duties, what other duties are you available for? Parties? Mistress of Ceremonies? Personal Appearances? Voice Overs and Promotional Events? For Booking Inquiries?

NC: I am available to do all of duties. I love to attend community events. I had the pleasure of hosting WHUR's New Years Eve party for the very first time the past New Year's and that was a blast!! Any booking inquiries should be sent to ncaseevents@yahoo.com and my PR representative will contact them for follow-up. I also have a myspace page set up for my events, which is myspace.com/ncaseevents.

LT: What are your thoughts on today's Election? :) What will you be doing today, on this historic Election Day, November 4th, 2008?

NC: This election is such an exciting moment for us as people and as a country. I just wish we all could realize what an honor and a privilege our right to vote really is. I want folks of all ages not to brush this off and forget that it will make such a difference when you cast your vote for whoever you choose - just get up and get out and take somebody with you to the polls. I am a volunteer for senior ride. I have volunteered to provide transportation to 10-15 seniors to the polls who cannot make it themselves - we will be up bright and early and not sleeping until Obama is President!!

LT: Alright now! What words would you like to pass on to your listeners about the importance of this vote?

NC: We all make history together and this will be something to pass on to all our children, so get up and take your children to the polls with you!! Election Day 2008!

LT: Thank you, Natalie for coming through The Jazzy Radio Loft & Lounge and talking with us for a while! We'll be sure to tune in to your great show on 96.3 FM, WHUR's #1 Grown & Sexy Saturdays from 6pm - 9pm! Come back again anytime & Keep Up The Blazing Work!

NC: Thanks again, LT...Always a pleasure to chat inside the Radio Loft & Lounge. Keep Dancing...as always be safe, stay positive, God bless.

No comments :