Monday, November 06, 2006

Best-Selling Author and Screen Writer Steve Barnes & Other African-Americans of Star Trek, Sci-Fi & Fantasy


Pictured on the right is best selling author and screen writer Steve Barnes.

Over the weekend, I met a very nice lady who operates and owns her own Used Out-of-Print Collectible Bookstore. We got into a discussion on great Science Fiction and Fantasy writers and she told me that she recently met novelist and television writer Steven Barnes at a recent Book Expo in Baltimore. She also told me that Steven Barnes is married to author Tananarive Due. The Tananarive Due? Wow. I definitely heard of her before and some of her books. Steve Barnes. Why did that name sound recently familiar to me?

Maybe this is what is meant by the term Synchronicity. This is when this story gets interesting.

Several other authors names came up including Samuel R. Delany, Lois McMaster Bujold, Octavia Butler, Nalo Hopkinson and Sophia Stewart.

On October 2nd which is Avery Brooks birthday, I posted a little something on Avery Brooks involvement with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I also posted a well done video montage someone edited together and put on YouTube from the episode called Far Beyond the Stars.

About a week ago I was rummaging through some old boxes of mine and what do I find but a Apr-May 1998 issue of Star Trek Communicator, The Magazine of the Official Star Trek Fan Club Number 116 called, 'Making It So - African Americans of Star Trek - Avery Brooks Exclusive Interview." I totally forgot and could not remember buying this but obviously I did! LOL. I love it when stuff like this spontaneously happens.

Included in this issue are interviews with: Cirroc Lofton, Mae Jemison, Michael Dorn, Tim Russ, Whoopi Goldberg, Levar Burton, Tony Todd, Nichelle Nichols and William Marshall.

Towards the back of the magazine is a story called 'Far Beyond the Stars." It is an interview with writer Steve Barnes who is also African-American and who wrote the Star Trek novel 'Far Beyond the Stars' which hit bookshelves and television screens in February 1998, Black History Month, as Barnes' novel and as the episode of Deep Space Nine directed by Avery Brooks aired.

The article is a very interesting read. One of the books I picked up over the weekend after connecting the dots to my Synchronicity Moment (LOL) is Gorgon Child by Steven Barnes which I hope to start reading soon. Other books the owner told me about that Steven Barnes co-authored are The Descent of Anansi and The Legacy of Heorot and many more.

These are definitely some authors and novels I have to check out and catch up with and also review them here in LTs Jazzy Radio Loft & Lounge after I read them. To be continued!

No comments :