Saturday, October 21, 2006

Dizzy Gillespie Birthday


Official Dizzy Gillespie website: dizzygillespie.net

(October 21st, 1917 to January 6th, 1993) Famed Jazz trumpeter John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie was born on this day in Cheraw, South Carolina. He with Charlie Parker and Thelonius Monk, became the founder of the revolutionary BeBop Movement.

I was blessed to meet Dizzy Gillespie in 1987-88 at WDCU Jazz 90 in DC when I worked there as a Producer and Recording Engineer. I recorded what we call in the radio biz Dizzy's "drops". Drops are what you hear on the radio when an artist will say "This is _____ and when I'm in town I listen to____." He did about 3 or 4 drops and promos for the station. I was in Studio C and Mr. Dizzy Gillespie was in Studio B.

It was customary in the radio biz in those days and even today that after an artist comes by a station for an interview they record some station ID Drops and Promos. So, after the interview I introduced myself, shook his hand and directed him back to Studio B.

I couldn't believe that I was working one on one with "The" Mr. Dizzy Gillespie all by myself. All of the record company people, etc. were still up front by the main studio conversing with air and office staff and management after the interview.

I have to say he was a character, as much as I had heard about and he knocked those 3 or 4 different drops out in one quick take, all with the fun and funny Dizzy Gillespie personality people have come to know and love over the years. Totally improve and on the fly which are some of the key elements of Jazz itself.

I remember after he stepped out of the studio I met him at the studio door and shook his hand again and thanked him. He was really cool. At 18-years-old, you can pretty much say I was thrilled. I was. He was so good doing those drops and promos, I wish he could have done more but they all had to go and were very soon out the door after having pics taken and all.

Here is a video interview of Dizzy Gillespie telling the press the story of how and why he played with his signature, trademark diagonal trumpet in 1985:


Interesting story, eh? In 1985, The Smithsonian acquired Dizzy Gillespie's trademark trumpet.

Below is a video for 'Things To Come' - Dizzy Gillespie Big Band 1968 - One of my favorite Jazz Cuts of all time because of its speed, fantastic intensity and ferocity. The first time I heard this I was blown away. Wynton Marsalis did this one on a CD that came out called 'Jazz At Lincoln Center: They Came To Swing [Live]' (1994). It is an excellent album to have on CD. If you love Jazz and are ever out and see this CD, buy it! You will not be disappointed.

No comments :