Monday, September 25, 2006

The Poem, 'I, Too' by Langston Hughes


September 25th, 1924 - In a letter to his friend Alain Locke, Langston Hughes wrote "I've done a couple of new poems. I have no more paper, so I'm sending you one on the back of this letter." The poem, I, Too, will be published two years later and be among Langston Hughes' most famous.

I, Too
 
I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.
Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--
I, too, am America.

Langston Hughes Links
poets.org
founders.howard.edu

Audio Interview of Langston Hughes
wiredforbooks.org

No comments :