Sunday, September 10, 2006

Outkast - Idlewild Album - LT's Review


As promised. ;) This album was hard to review because it is all over the place with its sound. As I stated in my review of the film, Outkast took the basic rhythms and tempo of 1930s music - Jazz, Showtunes, Blues, Soul, R&B, etc. and mixed it and matched it with their own Outkast sound. I know, wild concept, right? But one that peaked my interest.

It's hard to put this album in any one category. I think I would call it more of an experiment or concept album and its hard to judge artists concepts and experiments because I will generally sit back and listen to what they came up with. Listening to this album was like listening to 25 ideas that they tried to keep in one album so it could flow for the common theme.

Here's LT's Review of Outkast's Idlewild!

1. Intro - Psychedelic spoken word intro bit on some actors opinions on why rappers should not act in movies.

2. Mighty "O" - One of the first singles released to radio. Contains sample from "Minnie the Moocher" by Cab Calloway. I thought this song was just OK. There is another way I would have mixed Cab with Hip-Hop which I think could have been better but OK, I'll go with it 'til the next one.

3. Peaches - Having fun with that Linn Drum machine and reverb? Interesting lyrics.

4. Idlewild Blue (Don't Chu Worry Bout Me) - Andre 3000 wrote this one. This is when the album gets good. I love this track. One of the best tracks on the whole album. Sounds like Blues meets Funk, meets a heavy Hip-Hop Swinging Bass Beat. Ends it with what sounds like one of Prince's synthesizers. This is an example of Outkast accomplishing what they set out to do with this whole project. If the whole album was of this caliber, I could give the album an A+. They got it right with this one! This track shows they were not only on the right track but got it right!

Here's the new video for it. I am not sure if they made this before, during or after Katrina or if they were just trying to make a point. I guess we will have to hear them comment on it to see what they were trying to say about it. It ends with the words, "Dedicated to all those tryin' to stay afloat."



5. Infatuation (Interlude) - Another spoken skit.

6. N2U Featuring Khujo Goodie - Eh, I would have left it off the album. Something to connect the two tracks behind it and in front of it. Funny ending by Antoine Patton.

7. Morris Brown Featuring Scar & Sleepy Brown - Another stand out track. Features the Morris Brown College Band. Very creative. Makes me think instantly of the HBCU's Big College Band Competitions during Football season in the South especially during the Battle of The Bands. I like how they put this together. The video is tight too. Another example of Outkast's creative brilliance.

8. Chronomentrophobia - Sounds like Prince's Linn Drum Machine was a heavy influence in this one. This is definitely an Outkast track. Only they can sound like this. This is what I would call a signature Outkast sounding track. What they can do with a drum machine, some keys and a Bass.

9. The Train - Sittin' on a porch in the South with a banjo and some interlooped psychedelic funk with some horns and cool male and female vocals mixed in to accompany you. Something about this one I like, it's hard to put into words. It's catchy. It just works for me. This would make a great video if they decide to do it for this one.

10. Life Is A Musical - (written and produced by Andre) It swings in a mid-tempo kind of way. A fun little number. Good lyrics.

11. No Bootleg DVDs (Interlude) - Funny.

12. Hollywood Divorce - This is out there. Hard to describe the sound. Good lyrics though.

13. Zora (Interlude) - Spoken dialogue from the movie.

14. Call the Law - Another 30s meets Hip-Hop type sounding joint featuring Janelle Monae.

15. Bamboo & Cross (Interlude) - Spoken - Kids having fun.

16. Buggface - Sounds like something from one of Outkasts older albums.

17. Makes No Sense At All - Acoustic Bass and Piano. This was the scene when Percival (Andre 3000) was playing the piano on stage and his music notes on his page come to life in an animated way which I thought was very creatively done. I'm glad they included this on the album.

18. In Your Dreams featuring Janelle Monae - This has a little Salsa feel to it. Makes me think of Miami, Cuba or Puerto Rico.

19. PJ & Rooster - This one was used in the finale when Percival (Andre) is in his tuxedo with all the showgirls on the steps. I liked this one. Now, this sounds like 30s music to me. Another standout track for me. They hit it with this one again. "30s meets Hip-Hop, we did it!" ;)

20. Mutron Angel featuring Whilde Peach - Backward looped intro that actually carries thruout. Drum machine comes in halfway thru. Deep lyrics. They definitely had something special in mind when they created this. I can hear them thinking where to place this on the album and in the movie when they did it. I would like to hear the conversation in the studio when they laid this one down. Very interesting.

21. Greatest Show On Earth featuring Macy Gray - Sounds like a circus cut. Circus psychedelic bluesy funk? Macy Gray was a good pick for this and the movie too. Macy Gray brings something to the acting game that I think takes even experienced actors off guard. She's got something inside of her that is deep and intense that she can let out when she wants it to come out and it just totally disarms you to the point where you think to yourself, "What the...? Dayum!" What she did in Training Day is a good example. Who knew? I'd like to see her in more projects.

22. You're Beautiful (Interlude) - audio excerpt from the movie.

23. When I Look In Your Eyes - This actually reminds me of the 20s. Another good ending song to the movie.

24. Dyin' To Live - Piano and vocal piece by Andre 3000.

25. A Bad Note - Electric guitar and solemn piano piece with tight rimshots that come in to close the album.

Overall, like the movie, it's hard for me to criticize the album. I think we can all see what they tried to do with the concepts and ideas and I really applaud it because they gave it a good shot. Andre 3000 I think is moving in more of a musical direction anyway but we will see. I think he wants to explore music more now than rap and hip-hop but once again, we will see.

I respect both of these guys for all that they have done up to now and really look forward to all their projects however they go because they both have something special in their hands with what they bring to the table. I hope whatever they do they can always retain their creative control over their projects because in OutKast, creativity is really where they fly. One can tell they have creative ideas for days.

With Outkast, whatever they do, it's going to be something new and creative that I will have to pretty much checkout to see what they did.

This album overall, is the next or most recent phase for where they are right now. I am even sensing they may be past this already and on to something else musically, artistically and creatively. I look forward to all their projects.

They will be remembered for taking Hip-Hop to the next level when all is said and done.

Peace!

No comments :