Friday, February 08, 2008

New Musical Group Feature: YMCK



I read about a new Japanese musical group today called YMCK in The Express.

Basically, the concept is, they take old sounds from old school video games from the 80s that most of us in our older 30s/early 40s grew up with as kids, and they have turned them into full creative melodies.

I checked out their myspace page first because it seems the myspace pages have more interactive music and videos to see and hear these days then a lot of web sites out here today.

I really like what they did and how they did it. Very creative. Their sound reminds me of a cross between YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) and a touch of Thomas Dolby. The harmonies remind me of something that influenced Janet Jackson or visa-versa.

YMCK will be performing this weekend at The Kennedy Center's Millenium Stage as part of their JAPAN! CULTURE + HYPERCULTURE series.
~LT

No comments :