Monday, July 03, 2006

Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro) - Timeless Classic!



Thoughts of this movie and soundtrack came to mind today. Another great movie and soundtrack that has stayed with me over the years. For all the fans of this movie who may not be aware, Black Orpheus came out on DVD June 8th, 1999 on Criterion! See BlackOrpheusDVD for more details.

There have been so many reviews written on this movie and album, I can't even attempt to review them both. All I can do is share with you some of my first experiences growing up watching it on TV and the effect it had on me.

Black Orpheus originally came out on June 12, 1959 in France. It came out in the U.S. on December 21, 1959. Our parents turned us on to this movie when we were children. I cannot remember the first year I saw this movie, but I think it was around the time I was about 6 which had to be around 1975 or 76. They showed this on TV one day and our Mom told us all about it.

It seems no matter how many times our Mother explained the story to us, I would ask her over and over again what was it about again all while being transfixed on the TV and, "Why was that man (Death) coming to get that lady?!" LOL! (Me tugging on my Mom's skirt, pointing to the TV) "Is he going to get her, Mommy? Is he?!" "Why does that man in that skeleton oufit want that lady? What does he want her for? Is he gonna fight that other man to get her? Does he want to kill her or take her away somewhere?" I also remember how much I looked up to the character Orpheus because his love for Eurydice was so noble and true and the way he wasn't afraid to defend Eurydice even from Death itself.

Orpheus knew who that dude was in the Skeleton oufit or I should say, he finds out exactly who it is. He knew it was Death itself coming after her but yet and still, Orpheus didn't give a damn, he was protecting his woman! Powerful.

They actually used to show this movie quite a bit in the 70s on TV. The story just totally fascinated me and scared me at the same time because of the character of Death who was pursuing Eurydice. I also had a big crush on the lady who plays Eurydice, Marpessa Dawn. I mean, I was in love with this lady for years. Crush City!

The movie was done by French director Marcel Camus and was based on the play "Orfeu da Conceição" by poet Vinicius de Moraes. It retells the Greek legend of Orpheus and Eurydice, setting it in the modern context of Rio de Janeiro during the Carnival.

The sites and sounds of this movie are so strong it really puts you right there in Brazil. It's one of those movies that just pull you in minute by minute. You just have to see how it all plays out and ends.

Marcel Cames won a Golden Palm for Black Orpheus at Cannes in 1959.
It won a Golden Globe in 1960 for Best Foreign Film.
It won an Oscar in 1960 for Best Foreign Language Film.
And it was nominated in 1961 for a BAFTA Film Award for Best Film for Any Source.

I learn something new about this film everytime I see it. It's just one of those movies. It's so much to take in. The soundtrack also is incredible. If you saw this film, let me know. I would love to hear your opinions on it. If you never saw this movie, please check it out and hit me back! I guarantee you, you will be blown away by the story, the splendor, how full of life it is, the Rio de Janeiro Carnival flavor, the colors, the sights, the sounds - It's all that! A+ Timeless Classic.

No comments :