Saturday, June 24, 2006

Hot New Single by Beyonce and Jay Z - 'Deja Vu'

OK, it's hot. There, I said it. LOL. I give it up for them. They've got a hot track on their hands and I am not the biggest fan of either though Jay Z has created some phat beats and rhymes. Deja Vu actually sounds like it was written by Stevie Wonder or something he would sing. I can hear him singing this in my head by the sound of it. Is it just me?

Even if I don't like a particular artist if they do something that is actually hot, I will give it up for em and give them their props. LOL. They did good on this one. Beyonce's new album B-Day drops in September too. And no, I am not posting Beyonce's picture! LOL. Why? Because everywhere we turn she's there already! LOL! TV, Movies, Ads...yeah, she's a talented singer. I don't think she is the best or even one of the best I have ever heard in my life but she's ahhiite. Her acting? Eh.

I just feel they overexpose her. Give me a chance to miss you sometimes, whydontcha?! LOL. They did the same thing with Destiny's Child in those last years before Beyonce went solo or should I say "solo". We all know they will be back. Overexposue is an understatement. I think I dug Destiny's Child the most when they first came out and shortly after.

OK, let the letters start pouring in. LOL.

My thing is just this: If there wasn't the big $100 million, 24-7 ad campaign going on behind you to back you up, would I even naturally be thinking about you? Would I even care?

There are certain artists out here who just naturally have that magic or that fire inside them or about them. That special something that makes me think about them and wonder how they're doing, what they're going to do next, etc.

And then there are some that it just all seems to be smoke and mirrors doing all the noise. Take that away and what you got left? Now what? And?

I say this because when I think of all the truly great artists from the past, I found myself thinking of them and wondering about them even when nothing was going on with them. No big campaign was needed for me to start thinking of them out of the blue and going to pick up some of their stuff, new or old because I knew or had heard from friends or family that they were just that good.

All it would take is to hear an old 33 LP, a friend's cassette tape, your uncle's 8-Track in his car, or you heard them on the radio once or twice or (when videos started) you saw that one new video and you knew by the quality by the sound you had to get it.

Today, the corporations cram these new artists down our throats at every turn. Like force feeding. And then as Tavis Smiley said so well, "you find out this big event was actually a non-event."

One of the functions and effects of the music industry that turns me off today and that I could do without.

No comments :