Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Happy Birthday, Lionel Richie


Born in Tuskegee, Alabama on this day. Remember the commercial where he goes back to Alabama to visit his Mom? Was that a Pepsi commercial? I plumb forgot. Why did so many people think that commercial was so funny? LOL. I can't even remember now but I do remember laughing too for whatever reasons I still don't know. Was it his grandmother he went home to see in it?

LOL! I think I remember now why it was looked at as so funny. By that time Lionel Richie had truly crossed over, he had left The Commodores to go solo etc and won Grammys in 82 and 84. So when the commercial came out of him going back home people laughed because they had their own lines of what they thought the mother should have said to him! LOL! I guess you had to be there to get it.

No, I think it was because they used his song Hello in it and for most of the commercial we see him going back home but we don't find out til the end it is his Mom he is trying to get to.

Now, that I think of it I think she says something kind of cute or funny to him when they get out to the garden after she greets him in the the kitchen, "Lionel!"

Bringing it up to the present, Lionel Richie was in DC all last week. He hit all the Urban Stations, Urban AC's, Hip Hop, you name it. I think he did em all! LOL. His new single sounds cool. I missed meeting him by one day at an AC station I worked at in DC about 5 or 6 years ago. Just so happened to be the day I wasn't workin he came through. LOL. Life.

His single sounds like this Under Water-Aquatics-Bohemian-Tropical-Futuristic-Sound they are rolling with for artists like Chris Brown, Ne Yo, Donnell Jones,etc, but they did it in a way to complement Lionel Richie. He did some pretty extensive interviews on all the stations last week. He went into a lot about his life, more then I expected. Album drops in September. September is looking out to be a great month in Black Music.

No comments :