Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The 2006 BET Awards


Today on all the Hip-Hop Stations, they played the live musical segments from last nights BET Awards. One of the few chances on the Hip-Hop Stations we get to hear the
Hip-Hop and Urban R&B artists do their thing live on the radio. Fresh from the previous night. Only hours old. That's what I'm talkin bout! Live music is really what drives the whole machine to me and what we need more of today, even on the Hip-Hop stations. Especially when we are all trying to find out "Is the latest flavor of the month really talented? Can they really perform? Is it Live or is it Memorex?"

I have to say, this is one of the things I do like after the evening of a big musical awards ceremony. For everyone who missed it and even for those who saw it, you get a second chance to hear it in your headphones, car speakers, home stereo systems, etc. on certain stations.

It's like a "Day After Musical Live Concert Recap".

With all that said, there have been some BET Awards Shows that I have seen and some that I have not seen over the years. The reasons I didn't see some of them have varied over the years but some of the reasons were because of my personal frustrations with BET overall with the type of videos they show over and over again combined with the overall programming of BET which just disappoints me.

So to be honest, I stopped watching BET years ago. I actually think their website BET is better and more informative than their channel. But it is a kind of a conundrum for me, because as a Black Man and African-American, of course, I still want to know what is going on with Us in the biz whether times are good or bad, "What is going on now? Has Black Music changed yet? Are we passed the crossroads yet and onto a higher road?" More on this later.

Before I begin my review, I would say in all fareness BET's new channel BETJ reminds me of the way BET used to be before complete thuggery took over. BET J's programming so far is Old and New School R&B Artists combined with some Jazz Artists. They also are doing some good Caribbean Programming so far. But BET J is still not as "All Jazz" as I would like it to be but I give them credit for giving an alternative to the current BET by showing how things used to be mixed in with present R&B artists who actually are putting out good music.

Anyway, I did see last night's show. To make a long story short I thought some of the highlights were:

Beyonce's hot new single, 'DeJa Vu' opening with Jay Z. Once again, not the biggest fan of hers, but she can do her thing live which is more then a lot of young artists can do out here today.

When Jimmie "J.J." Walker, Ralph "Michael" Carter and Bernadette "Thelma" Stanis came out with a surprise visit by Janet Jackson. I actually thought it was going to be John Amos to come out to settle the argument they did in their skit.

Steve Harvey's words on what it takes to be a musical legend. Funny yet very true.

The Chaka Khan Tribute with Prince, Stevie Wonder, Yolanda Adams and India.Arie was one of the best parts of the evening. They did 'I'm Every Woman', 'Tell Me Somethin' Good', 'Through the Fire', 'Sweet Thing', 'I Feel For You' - this was worth recording all by itself. Real Music By Real Musicians and Artists!

The Harry Belafonte Tribute with Danny Glover's presentation.

NeYo performed 'So Sick' and 'Sexy Love'. Another good singer and hope for the future of Black Music.

Chris Brown is another good singer who did a combination of his songs. I dig 'Yo (excuse Me, Miss)' the most. He really is a great dancer who is very light on his feet. Talk about 16-year-old raw energy. In his acceptance speech he brought NeYo up there and said they are trying to bring the Real R&B Back. Two words: Go Head! This guy impressed me. He is a pro and he proved it.

Jamie Foxx and Fantasia's performance. Fantasia is something else live all by her bad self and has the ability to sing each one of her songs a different way every time and blow your mind in the process. A true sign of someone who has greatness in them that we have plenty more to look forward to. She is a Soul Sistah sho'nuff. She can also stretch, as in she can do many things with her voice and styles, she thinks fast on her feet and has command of her band when she is out on tour even when she appears to be winging it or freestylin'. She can be spontaneous and come right back on the dime and keep rolling. I mean, she is a real genuine natural when it comes to that heartfelt soul-drenching Soul Music. She does something else the sistahs do in church which is she actually can get In The Spirit when she sings when she wants to. Watch her closely, you will see what I mean. ;) their duet was good. The long kiss at the end with Jamie Foxx? Where did THAT come from?! LOL! I mean, they really got into it there! Is there something goin on between these two we don't know about yet?! LOL! It seemed to be all in good fun for the performance though, but who knows? LOL! Aye, I ain't mad at a brotha! LOL! I'm sayin! She right there with you and ya'll both into it so...! LOL! (OK, review continuing! Taking it back down a notch.) LOL.

Maybe that Jamie/Fantasia chemistry started at the Pre-Grammy Party earlier this year.



The Busta Rhymes performance with his crew was pretty wild but so is that video for that song, 'Touch It'. The video to that one is actually tight.

I thought Mary J. Blige did good. She looked dang good! LT Prediction: The Summer of '06 will belong to Mary J. like The Summer of '05 belonged to Mariah on the radio and record sales.

Prince's closeout doing '3121'. Funky! That is exactly how I pictured he would perform that song. In a big hall theater like that. Prince tossed Will I Am from The Black Eyed Peas in the audience a mic and he started rapping on the fly.

The lowlights? I'm not going to even go into it this time because as anyone who watches BET knows, it's always the same acts. The same knucklehead routines over and over that make me scratch my head and wonder, "Why are they still rolling with this?", "Can't we go another direction yet?", "Who is this really for?" "Why are we still putting up with this?" "What the hell is going on around here?!" "That's Black Entertainment?!" OK, I'm leaving it alone for now.

Damon Wayans as host and MC? His intro monologue was actually harder on the rappers then I thought it would be. I guess he sees some of the things some other people do. I don't know how well it went over with the rappers in the audience though, but was what he said true? Was what he said not true? Which was worse? To speak on some of the rappers out here and the way they carry on or the reality that some of the rappers actually carry on like they do?

I have discussed BET with family and friends over and over again and our opinions on what has been the problem with BET is a long story. I will attempt to do a post on BET in the near future. It takes a lot of energy to even do it because there is so much involved and so much to say on it.

Is commercial Black Music, Urban AC, Hip-Hop, R&B, exactly where I want it to be in 2006? Not quite. As a matter of fact, I think we are passed the date it could have changed for the better by now. OK, let me rephrase that, in the words of Whitney, "Aw, hell to the naw it's not where I thought, expected or want it to be!" It actually couldbe changed overnight. But who up top is not allowing it to change for better? That's the question! Do I still have hope for commercial Black Music in total? Of course, I am very hopeful for all of it. Are we back on the right track I think we should be on now? Not quite, but there are flashes of hope I do see. Has commercial Black Music found it's footing and it's solid legs again yet? No, but I think, I just think, we are getting where we should be. Is the commercial Hip-Hop out here that we hear on the radio on the daily, the "end all to be all" and the final phase of Hip-Hop? Not by a long shot. Will it play out soon? Well, when things have hit just about rock bottom, there truly is no way to go but up. Will cutting back on the blinged-out thug junk and pushing forward more underground, independent and conscious raising Hip-Hop be one of the things that saves Hip-Hop? Even if it isn't all conscious, can the more fun, original, more positive, better produced, yet taking it to the next level "gimme that good ole feeling when I was in love with Hip-Hop" feeling ever return again? Are even the teenagers and 20 somethings out here getting sick of the same ole, same ole heard on Hip-Hop stations on the daily? Again, stay tuned for LT's Take On the Current State of Hip Hop. It won't be too long from now. ;)

The overall 2006 Winners were:

Best Female Hip Hop Artist
Missy Elliott

Best Male Hip Hop Artist
T.I.

Best Male R&B Artist
Prince

Best Female R&B Artist
Mary J. Blige

Best Gospel Artist
Kirk Franklin

Best New Artist
Chris Brown

Best Duet/Collaboration
Kanye West Featuring Jamie Foxx - "Gold Digger"

Best Group
Black Eyed Peas

Video Of The Year - TIE!
Mary J. Blige - "Be Without You"
Kanye West F/Jamie Foxx - "Gold Digger"

Viewers' Choice
Chris Brown - "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)"

BET J Cool Like That
Anthony Hamilton

BET Lifetime Achievement Award
Chaka Khan

BET Humanitarian Award
Harry Belafonte

No comments :